Jyotisha Sanskrit ~ jyotisa translates to “the science of heavenly bodies” (Jyoti = light, heavenly body) is also known as Vedic Astrology and is considered to be one of the oldest systems of astrology in the world. Jyotisha practitioners believe that the spiritual nature of man is closely associated with the planetary configurations and movements of planets and the heavenly bodies. It further states that with the study and understanding of these planetary movements, in conjunction with universal phases of the sun and the moon, impact on our astrological bodies can be predicted.
Jyotisha, as a form of astrology is based on the spiritual point of view. Reincarnation and law of Karma forms the basis of Jyotisha and your soul is seen as moving along an evolutionary pathway through a series of reincarnations. The alignment of planetary bodies in the universe or cosmos, at the exact time and place of your birth, defines your destiny and karma path in this lifetime. Your birth chart reveals the fruits of your past karmas or actions and the path you should follow in this lifetime, to help your soul’s journey on the path to alleviate suffering and eventually attain moksha or nirvana.
Zodiac as per Jyotisha
There are some similarities between Vedic and Western astrology, like the 12 signs of zodiac, but the main difference is that Vedic astrology emphasizes on time of the rising sun, at the precise moment of your birth while Western astrology follows a 30-day sun period. This can result in different readings for the same person under both these systems.
The five cosmic elements which pertain to Vedic Astrology or Jyotisha are:
- The Sun (Surya) : representing day or Vital Life energy, Sun is an important member of the natural cosmic elements. The sun represents vitality, life and leadership and it projects intelligence and spirituality on all living beings on the earth.
- The Moon (Chandra) : representing night or Goddess energy, Moon is an important member of the natural cosmic elements. The moon represents nourishment, fertility and emotional intelligence on all living beings on the earth.
- The Planets (Graha) :In the planetary system, there is a mention of nine planets in total, including the sun and the moon. All these nine planets influence the living beings on earth with interplay of gravitational pull amongst each other. The grahas are related to every area of an individual’s life.
- Zodiac Signs (Rashi) : The zodiac is an imaginary belt of 360 degrees which is divided into twelve equal parts. Each part is called a rashi or a sign which relates to placement of the nine planets at time of birth.
- Houses (Bhava) : In Vedic Astrology, the zodiac or complete 360 degrees of life chart are divided into twelve houses or bhava. The sign that rises in the eastern horizon at the time of your birth is called ascendant or lagana and is the most important sign in your birth chart. All the twelve houses are subsequently defined, with each house spanning 30 degrees and together they indicate the true nature and impact of planets on your path through this lifetime.
In our journey to discover our true inner self, these planetary heavenly bodies along with powers of the universe can help guide us and keep us informed about our soul’s journey along the way. Based on a study of your birth chart, as per Jyotisha, your bad karmas can be modified and your positive karmas can be enhanced, revealing to you a shining light to follow, as you make your way away from this illusionary world and back to the divine.